Hearth and Stove Store » Chimney & Venting Services » Chimney Sweeping »
The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of The Dangerous Creosote In Your Fireplace & Chimney = PCR
Creosote is a nasty byproduct of incomplete combustion that, over time, can build up inside of your chimney, fireplace, and smoke chamber.
It’s formed when these conditions occur:
- wood is burned in the fireplace that hasn’t been properly split, covered, and left to dry for a year
- smoke is hindered from exiting the chimney (perhaps due to a chimney blockage or a corbeled and defective smoke chamber)
- too much wood has been put into the fireplace at once
There are actually three levels of creosote, and level one and two can typically be removed during a routine chimney cleaning.
But it’s level three creosote that you really have to worry about…
It’s tacky, sticky, hard, corrosive, highly flammable, and in the summertime, smelly. But the worst thing about it is that it’s really hard to get rid of.
Or it was. That is, until Poultice Creosote Remover (PCR) came along…
PCR – How It Works
Poultice Creosote Remover or PCR is a product that’s applied to the surface where the creosote is. As it dries, it absorbs all that nasty creosote into itself, and when completely dry, it falls from the surface of the flue tiles, smoke chamber, or fireplace, taking the creosote with it.
What’s left is easily removed with a chimney sweeping brush.
Of course, once you’ve gotten rid of it, you’ll want to make sure it doesn’t come back. What can you do?
Wright’s Wood-Burning Tips For Preventing Creosote Buildup
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that…So here are some tips on preventing creosote buildup in your chimney and fireplace:
- Only burn hardwoods that have been seasoned (split and covered for at least a full calendar year) in your fireplace.
- Schedule annual inspections prior to using your fireplace in the fall, and be sure to have any creosote, soot, and/or blockages removed from the chimney system before the first fire of the season.
- If your smoke chamber is not parged smooth, schedule an appointment to have this important service done ASAP.
- Don’t try to build a massive fire. Too much wood in the firebox at once will only contribute to creosote buildup.
Need Creosote Removed From Your Fireplace System? Wright’s Makes It Easy
If creosote has taken over your fireplace and chimney, schedule an appointment to have it removed before things get worse.
This highly flammable, highly corrosive substance can take the joy out of a fireside experience and threaten the safety of your family and the longevity of your chimney system.
So don’t wait. Call 828-687-9002 or fill out our online appointment request form today.
A thorough chimney sweeping is one of the most important chimney and venting services you can ask us to perform…so, ask us!